How To Build A Gas Fire Pit: Valve Extension
https://firepitoutfitter.com/How to install a manual 1/4 turn On/Off gas valve in a gas fire pit with a wall thickness greater than 2.5″ with a valve extension or a wall thickness less than 1″ with our Stainless Steel Valve Mount.
- Firepit Outfitter’s manual on/off valves are designed to be installed in the side of a gas fire pit by drilling a 1 1/4″ hole through the fire pit side and the valve body & valve flange will screw together, sandwiching the fire pit wall between the two, as you tighten the flange. This works great when the wall thickness is between 1 7/8″ & 2 1/2″.
- If your wall thickness is greater than 2 1/2″ you will need to make a valve sleeve or extension with basic gas pipe fittings that can be found at any hardware store. All you need is a 3/4″ coupler to attach to the valve, and a 3/4″ pipe nipple the thickness of your wall. The nipple will crew on to the coupler and the decorative flange will screw on to the nipple. Tighten everything while sandwiching the fire pit wall between the valve and the flange.
Most valves come with a 4″ key to turn the valve on & off so now you will need a longer key that will reach the valve on the inside of the gas fire pit.
Stainless Steel Valve Mount
- Our Stainless Steel Valve Mount makes it easy to mount your valve when the material is smaller than 1″ and the valve and flange will not tighten up because your material is too small.
- It uses a 4 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ x 3/4″ deep exterior valve plate and an inner valve spacer all made from 14 gauge stainless steel.
- The outer valve plate gives a clean look whaen finishing up to the plate with stone or any finish material.